About Environmental Online
Environment Online is provided by the State of Western Australia (also called the WA Government) to help people connect online with the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation (the Department). We plan to bring together water and environmental assessments, approvals and compliance into one easy-to-use digital location. Our aim is to shorten turnaround times and ensure quicker assessment processes for joint State and Australian Government projects, helping to create jobs and support the economy.
Currently, you* can use Environment Online to access general information, to refer proposals for an environmental impact assessment and to submit related information. Help with finding information and services, including the environmental impact assessment processes, is available by accessing the FAQs and knowledge articles available on Environment Online. If you* need more help, contact us.
Alternatives to Environment Online
If you* are unable to (or you* do not wish to) use Environmental Online, you* can access the Department's services in other ways – for example, you* can refer proposals for environmental impact assessments over the counter, by mail and email. However, the efficiency gains expected through using Environment Online may not be delivered through these other options. Please contact us for more information.
Providing access to everyone is important to us – including people with disabilities, older people, people who aren't comfortable using digital services, hearing or speech impaired persons, people in regional areas and people using a range of devices.
Questions or concerns
If you* have any questions, concerns or suggestions about Environment Online, please contact us.
The Department's complaint process can be accessed via the Complaints page.
What this policy is about
By using or accessing Environment Online, you* are agreeing that the Department may collect, use, hold and disclose your* personal information or business information as set out in this policy.
Changes to this policy
The WA Government acting through the Department may update this policy from time to time. If the Department changes this policy, we will notify you* when you* next log in to Environment Online.
If you* do not agree with the changes, then do not continue to use Environment Online. If you* continue to use Environment Online, the changed policy will apply from the time it was changed.
Information Environment Online collects about you
Environment Online collects information about you* that you* (or someone you* authorise) provide when you* use Environment Online, and information about your* use of Environment Online.
If you* are using Environment Online without logging in, this information includes information about your use of the website, the technology used to access it and information you submit using it (e.g. comments you make or messages you send us).
When you log in to Environment Online, the information collected includes:
- your name, date of birth and contact details through your digital identity service;
- information about others that you are acting for (e.g. a business);
- information that you provide on applications, referrals and other transactions; and
- information that we collect in processing transactions you carry out.
Environment Online also collects other information about you, and others you are acting on behalf of, such as information regarding requests you* have made for support or enquires you* have made to the Department.
How your personal information is used
Process your transactions
The WA Government uses your* information to:
- determine if your identity is verified; and
- process and otherwise assist with your* transactions (and other interactions) with the Department.
In some cases, there are mandatory requirements for your* information to be published, or made available for public comment.
Your* information may also be used to:
- conduct the Department's statutory functions (including processing applications, referrals and assessments, and conducting compliance and enforcement activities);
- comply with laws and regulations and the directions of government authorities;
- respond to your* comments and questions and resolve your* enquiries; and
- send you* related information.
The WA Government and its service providers also use your* personal information to maintain, protect and improve Environment Online, including by:
- understanding and enhancing your* experience of Environment Online; and
- protecting, investigating and deterring fraudulent, unauthorised or illegal activity.
Your personal information is not sold or shared for commercial purposes.
Other use and disclosure and storage of your information
Information collected using Environment Online may be disclosed to, and used by:
- others who are involved in processing your* transactions (such as the Environmental Protection Authority);
- other Commonwealth and State agencies for the purposes of administering relevant laws;
- those to whom the WA Government must (by law) disclose your* information (e.g. a court or tribunal, or another government body);
- applicants who have made an application under the Freedom of Information Act 1992 (WA);
- the WA Government's service providers for the purpose of assisting the Department to operate, manage and use Environment Online and to conduct its other functions;
- relevant Ministers for the purpose of administering their portfolios; and
- a House or Committee of the Parliament of the State of Western Australia.
How information is stored
Information that Environment Online collects about you* is stored using Microsoft Azure. Microsoft is subject to both Australian and overseas laws that may require the disclosure of your* information (in limited circumstances) to government authorities here and overseas.
The WA Government may continue to keep information (including your* personal information)
The WA Government may keep your information, and information about others that you act for, even after you* stop using Environment Online. In some cases, this is required by law (such as State records laws).
Your other rights
Access to your personal information
You have the right to access personal information that is collected about your through your use of Environment Online. To access your personal information, please submit a Freedom of Information request.
Correcting your personal information
If you believe that personal information that is held about you in connection with Environment Online is incorrect, incomplete or out-of-date, then please contact the Department’s Freedom of Information Coordinator.